Google Could Be the Real Santa Claus
Google Alerts for Authors can be a powerful tool in the right hands. Think about this: Google knows what we like, where we shop, what we do online. Put the power of Google to work to help you build your author platform with Google Alerts.
You probably have a Gmail account. Use that same account with Google to set up your alerts.
What is a Google Alert
A Google Alert is an automated message sent to you each time the words you picked are seen online. You can have an email sent to you each time this happens or in a digest that compiles all of the sightings during the day.
You can have those alerts sent to your Gmail address or another one that you specify.
Why Use Google Alerts
- For research on a specific topic
- To see when people are discussing a topic
- Find out when your name is mentioned
- See when your book title comes up
- Find the conversations that are taking place online that relate to your book and expertise
- Hear what the people you consider your ideal readers are talking about and where they are holding these conversations
- Find places to submit articles
Set up an Alert
- Go to https://www.google.com/alerts
- If you have an account, log in
- If you don’t have a Google account, sign up
- Once you have logged in, return to https://www.google.com/alerts
- To add an alert, enter the words or phrases for each alert you want to set up
- Specify the geographic region (country)
- Specify the language
- Select the places you want Google to search
- Choose the frequency you want to get notifications
- Check your email
You can edit your alerts and if you can delete any alerts that no longer serve you.
Use Google Alerts to Connect with Your Audience
Set up Google Alerts and share your results in the comments area.
Get Your Book Marketing Road Map
Subscribe to get the Book Marketing Road Map and receive our latest tips by email.
She is a partner/founder of Book Marketing Mentor.
Marketing is a conversation. Let's talk! 707.938.2586